Confirmed: AUKUS aims to turn Australia into giant US base

April 2, 2025
Issue 
A US submarine docked at HMAS Stirling, which will see British and US nuclear-powered submarines docking from 2027. Photo: Department of Defence

Weeks out from a federal election, and with Donald Trump’s unpredictability and belligerency growing by the day, neither Labor nor the Coalition has demurred from their outright support for the AUKUS nuclear military pact.

AUKUS, signed up by Coalition PM Scott Morrison in 2021 with the Labor Opposition’s full support, has never been put to a vote and has had little official discussion.

This will be the first election in which people can vote against the major parties’ failure to consult on the eradication of the country’s nuclear protections and its military pact with a White House that believes it could win a nuclear war against China.

Despite Trump’s threats about Greenland, Panama, Mexico and Canada and his green light to Israel to obliterate Gaza, both major parties are sticking to the pro-war script.

AUKUS pillar I, the $368 billion nuclear-powered attack submarines, are unlikely to materialise in the next four years. But their endeavour allows Australia into an exclusive nuclear weapons’ club, as well as setting up the conditions for greater interoperability between the US and Australia’s defence forces.

AUKUS pillar II is about boosting universities funding to come up with more lethal technologies, which private weapons’ industries can then capitalise on.

Even before Trump’s election, 91̳ of Australia’s ruling elite were uncomfortable with AUKUS and this has only become more widespread since the president has made clear his disdain for the “rules-based” order.

Former Liberal PM Malcolm Turnbull and former Labor foreign minister Bob Carr have been especially outspoken, pushing for what they call a defence “Plan B”.

Turnbull told his own , in Canberra at the end of last month, that Trump makes it very clear he is both a less reliable and a more demanding ally”. He said Australia must “be more resilient and independent”.

is one of the few serving Labor critics of AUKUS, arguing in an understated way that it “may” undermine Australia’s commitment to nuclear non-proliferation. Despite promising to sign the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, Labor has not done so.

 that because the AUKUS nuclear submarines are unlikely to eventuate because the US is already behind on its own submarine capacity, Australia needs to “recalibrate” for its own national security interests. In 2017, he argued that to Australia.

Carr, whose record shows he has a to China, says AUKUS leaves Australia “totally integrated in American defence planning” and that it means Australia will be “hosting even more potential nuclear targets”.

Such establishment criticism of AUKUS, while couched around questions of “independence” and “sovereignty”, nevertheless do not want to break Australia’s close military ties with the US.

US canvasses ‘Plan B’

The ’s February report affirms that the US’s nuclear-powered submarine building program is way behind.

It says that while Australia was supposed to get five Virginia-class nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSNs) by 2028 (each about US$4.5 billion) before its AUKUS SSNs, even building two such SSNs a year will not fix the backlog until late into the 2030s.

It canvasses Plan Bs, including a new “division of labour” between the US and Australia, which echoes the deal between the US and NATO countries.

In brief, the US Congress’ Plan B is to turn Australia into a giant base for the US nuclear submarine force.

One alternative is building up to eight additional Virginia-class SSNs and, rather than selling a few to Australia, the US Navy operates them “out of Australia along with the five US and UK SSNs”.

Another option is that rather than spend on SSNs, Australia “instead invest[s] … in other military capabilities” — long-range anti-ship missiles, drones and long-range bombers. This, it says, would allow Australia to have non-SSN military missions “for both Australia and the United States”.

It then lists variations of these alternatives, including that US Navy SSNs operate out of Australian ports and “perform Australian SSN missions” in a similar arrangement to the . From 2027, under Pillar 1, one British and up to four US conventionally armed nuclear-powered submarines will use HMAS Stirling.

Opposition grows

Last November, after Trump’s election, about said Labor should reconsider AUKUS: 21% “strongly agreed” and 27% said they “somewhat agreed” that Australia should “review its commitment to the , including the purchase of nuclear-powered submarines”.

A poll last September found only 25% of Australians agree with AUKUS. It also found that defence spending is not popular either in Australia, the US or Japan.

A  on April 1 found that 46% believe Australia should form closer relations with other countries — including China.

resolve_poll_april_1.jpg

Australians are increasingly opposed to the AUKUS deal as the Sydney Morning Herald's Resolve Poll on April 1 shows.

Labor defence minister Richard Marles still insists the nuclear submarines will arrive from 2032, and that last month’s transfer of nearly $800 million to US shipyards is a “good investment”.

Labor has promised an additional $50.3 billion to the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and an extra $1 billion to enable the ADF to “acquire capabilities faster”. The Coalition has, so far, promised $3 billion for more joint strike fighter jets.

A growing number want Australia to lead on making the region more secure and peaceful.

The says “AUKUS diverts the massive resources we need to cut carbon emissions and to pull our weight in the global effort to achieve a rapid carbon-free transformation”.

have long opposed AUKUS and argue that they will push for the new government to “withdraw from the AUKUS political pact and renegotiate Australia’s position in the ANZUS treaty”.

(AFWPR) said in a March report that AUKUS has “no social license”, “because the public has been shut out of the process”.

It said AUKUS supporters’ efforts to bolster support for the military alliance have “mostly failed”, because they have “relied on scare campaigns, suggesting China wants to invade Australia, a notion for which they have produced no evidence”.

Further highlighting Australia’s deputy sheriff role, AFWPR criticised Australia for not consulting its Pacific Island neighbours. It said Labor’s diplomatic drive “has not overcome their view that they are not respected”.

AUKUS allows weapons-grade uranium to transit the Pacific, while the Tindal RAAF airbase in the Northern Territory is upgraded to house US nuclear weapons-capable B52 bombers.

“Whether or not the later development complies with the Raratonga Treaty hinges on the technicality of whether nuclear-armed B52s will be deemed to be ‘stationed’ at Tindal or merely ‘visiting’,” AFWPR said.

Climate emergency the real threat

Socialist Alliance spokesperson Sam WainwrightٴDZ 91̳ that while the major parties and much of the media are pushing for “a new cold war” because of a “supposed existential military threat”, it is not borne out by facts.

“They are trying to gear us up for a war with China on the basis that there is a supposed need to block China’s economic and political development.

“That is terrifying. The wars we’ve seen in Sudan and Ukraine are terrible enough. But the idea that Australia would be allying with the US to block China’s economic growth by force and risk World War III is anti-social in the most profound sense.

“Australia needs to move in a fundamentally different direction,” Wainwright said. He highlighted by at least 50% and have the funds directed to “more pressing and immediate social and environmental problems”.

“Global warming is the emergency society’s resources need to be spent on dealing with. Any discussion about defence and security should start with: What really is essential to security?”

Admiral Chris Barrie, a former ADF chief, who was once a supporter of AUKUS, said now is the time to rethink, in his op-ed in the March 30 .

The US is “not a consistent and reliable ally”, Barrie said, adding that conventional-powered diesel submarines are “sufficient” for defence and that “strong alliances with the archipelago nations to our immediate north are the basis of an alternative to the China-war strategy”.

, a founding member of the Australian Security Leaders Climate Group, which states the changing climate is the biggest security risk, has challenged Marles to answer questions about Australia’s economic future in a US-led war on China, this country’s most important trading partner.

Wainwright said Marles’ $800 million down payment for AUKUS shows “the ideological commitment of a dominant section of the ruling class to the US push to contain China”.

As not all establishment figures agree, Wainwright said there is the space to debate a better strategy in an increasingly dangerous world.

Wainwright pointed to Keating and Turnbull’s argument that Australia should not have to choose between the US and China. “They argue Australia could just trade and make up its mind as it goes along — a more sensible pro-capitalist defence policy.

“SA is for an independent foreign policy based on peace and justice. That’s by the front bench of the Liberal and Labor parties and the section of the ruling elite which is locked in behind AUKUS.”

You need 91̳, and we need you!

91̳ is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.