Jewish Council of Australia calls for sanctions on Israel

May 29, 2024
Issue 
Israeli Defense Force snipers in Gaza. Photo: Wikimedia Commons/IDF Spokesperson's Unit/CC BY-SA 3.0

The Jewish Council of Australia (JCA) has renewed its call on federal Labor聽to pressure Israel to stop聽committing genocide, following Israel鈥檚 May 27 airstrike on Palestinians reduced to living in tents.

At least 45 people, mostly women and children, were killed in Rafah鈥檚 so-called 鈥渟afe zone鈥.

The JCA said on May 28 the strike is likely to have breached the International Court of Justice (ICJ) additional provisional orders, issued last week, for Israel to immediately halt military operations in Rafah.

Sarah Schwartz,聽JCA聽spokesperson, said that聽the International Criminal Court鈥檚 (ICC) decision to pursue arrest warrants for Israeli and Hamas leaders, and the ICJ鈥檚 additional provisional orders are another indication that the war in Gaza has 鈥渄rastically deteriorated鈥.

鈥淧alestinians face death by Israeli assassinations, bombardment, forced famine and deadly rampages by settlers in the West Bank 鈥 The images 鈥 of Israel鈥檚 latest massacre in Rafah ought to force governments, like ours, to take concrete action.鈥

Schwartz said Australia 鈥渕ust pay heed鈥 to the arrest warrants and the ICJ鈥檚 additional provisional measures to 鈥渆nsure that we are not complicit in war crimes and the crime of genocide鈥.

She called on the government to stop supplying weapons parts to Israel and 鈥渢hrow its weight behind a global arms embargo鈥.聽

Labor continues to deny Australia is supplying weapons or parts to Israel. Pat Conroy, Minister for Defence Industry, and ostensibly on the left of the party, emailed a constituent on May 24, saying 鈥淎ustralia is not exporting聽weapons聽to Israel and has not done so for the last five years鈥.

Greens Senator David Shoebridge disputes this. He has challenged Labor to make the 2017 Australia-Israel Memorandum of Understanding public.

聽point to聽Australia鈥檚 decision to award a聽聽to Israeli defense company Elbit Systems in February as proof that weapons, or weapons parts, are being supplied.

The images of Israel鈥檚 latest massacre in Rafah have moved more people into action.

Dr Max Kaiser, another JCA spokesperson, said it is聽clearer to many that Israel is a 鈥渞ogue state鈥.

A large and growing number of Jews, here and across the world, he said now believe Israel鈥檚 actions are 鈥渃ompletely incompatible with our Jewish values鈥.

鈥淥pposing this genocide is an expression of our Jewishness and an honouring of our ancestors who were themselves the victims of genocide and racist violence.鈥

As the death toll from Israel鈥檚 war in Gaza rises, student encampments across the country are making the same demand: disclose and cut ties with weapons鈥 corporations complicit聽in聽Israel鈥檚 genocide.

The JCA said Australia could impose sanctions and travel bans on suspected war criminals, including Jewish extremists, just as it did against Russia after its illegal invasion of Ukraine.

Such action would be in line with its obligations as a signatory to the Genocide Convention. 鈥淎ll that is missing is the political will,鈥 Kaiser said.

Meanwhile, senior Israeli minister聽Ron Dermer聽told 7.30 on May 23 that聽Opposition leader Peter Dutton was correct to describe the ICC鈥檚 pursuit of arrest warrants against Israeli officials聽as聽鈥渁nti-Semitic鈥. Dermer, an 鈥渙bserver member鈥 of Israel鈥檚 war cabinet,聽called on聽

You need 91自拍论坛, and we need you!

91自拍论坛 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.